Monday, June 8, 2009

Creativity in motion

So here it is. Wreck this journal, entry number one. "Draw lines while in motion on the bus..." This is my commute from downtown Ottawa to Orleans on the transitway. One of my goals for this year is to find a new home, more central than suburbia, so the line in motion won't be quite so long.

Scribbling this page made me remember an activity I did once for a Girl Guide badge. We were asked to listen to our favourite piece of music, put a pen or pencil to the page (I used crayons) and draw what the music felt without lifting the pen. At that moment, I made a connection between the arts and really understood how one beautiful thing could inspire another.

5 comments:

  1. What an awesome page to start the adventure with - motion! It's amazing to know that not only did your commute create these lines, but these lines impacted your commute! The interrelation of things, like music and crayons, is beautiful!

    I'm glad you're here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved this! i saw it earlier when i was looking through the book and thought to myself, wonder how i can write while driving my scooter lol. although that probably won't happen, i'll figure something out. looking forward to sharing the rest of the journey with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome Melissa. What a great start. Love the lines in motion.
    I went to Carleton (just a few years ago - lol). Loved Ottawa - still try to get back once a year.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen anyone else talk about the motion page yet. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete